Powered By Blogger

What has our society done to breastfeeding?

Better yet: what has our society done to the female mind!?

I believe, the societal thought surrounding breasts is so perverted that some women struggle with the idea of breastfeeding. Women’s breasts have been THAT over-sexualized in the media (and by other people!) that, to a lot of women, their true function seems foreign, unnatural and “rotten” (according to a woman that used to be on my facebook.)

How can someone refer to feeding a baby, the way it was intended, as “rotten”? Would this same mother be terrified to change a poopie diaper? Baby poop (especially bottle-fed baby poop!) is much more “rotten” than an infant suckling a breast for nourishment.

I just don’t get it.


(babys first breastfeeding moment, my second baby.)

I was 19 when I had my first baby (I planned and prayed for 5 months for her!). Right from the start of wanting a baby I knew I was going to breastfeed, because well, really, I was in-tune with the natural life force of my body, it was the most natural thing to do.

I was lucky that I had an aunt who breastfed her baby.

I was around 10 when I walked in the living room and saw a babies face reaching toward her breast. (I can still see it in my mind after all these years, this kind of transcendental moment sticks with me!) It was the first time I had ever seen breastfeeding. I don’t even know if I hadeven heard of it before that moment! I was mystified. I was overflowing with love and joy at this new, delicate sight before me (as I turned my head away real fast, because I didn’t want her to think I was weird for wanting to stare (again, due to societies pressures and effects!)
It was at that moment I finally realized the point of boobs. That they weren’t just proof that God was a perverted old man who violated women’s bodies by putting those multi-sized bags of fun on the front end of us—they actually served a purpose! A beautiful, once-in-a-life-time purpose!

I couldn’t wait to have a baby to breastfeed.

Breastfeeding is as natural as the heart pumping blood. It’s a bodily function. The same mentality that would crack up laughing at multiple fart jokes reminds me of the mentality that makes fun of and is uncomfortable about breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is the human thing to do! Our bodies do a lot of strange things, a lot of things that could be considered ‘disgusting’.

For example: breastfeeding is as natural as, and much more beautiful than, puking up your guts. And I get that some people don’t enjoy puking and wouldn’t choose to do it 5-10 times a day everyday for a year or more, but there is a purpose in puking—it saves our lives! Therefore we should do it!

Thank you Creator, for giving us the beautiful functions of purging and breastfeeding!

Breastfeeding can have moments of discomfort, like many bodily functions. But that’s no reason to write it off and never do it.

It is truly a joy, once you get passed the week-long nipple burning/stinging hump, when the sight of a towel is threatening and you have to bite your knuckles or punch yourself in the face when the baby latches. (I wonder, does every mother endure that part? or just some?)
However, after that week, that scary painful week, it is amazing! Natural! Relaxing! And full of loving bonding moments! (and "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"? After that week, your skin pretty much turns to cast iron, strong-GER!)
(NOTE: there will probably be more random, overwhelming moments throughout the duration of your breastfeeding career— don’t feel bad for wishing you could rip your boobs off just once! Just once!! To give to dad, or someone else, to fed… or you could just pump a bottle ;)

But breastfeeding is easy! It’s sooo easy! There’s no way I could manage doing laundry while safely bottle-feeding! But strap my baby in a snuggly- front on- and I have two free hands to sort the clothes!


(----> dont lemme hear you say breastfeeding limits you! This is me and my 2nd daughter breastfeeding during a 4 hour a hike! ;)



It’s also much cheaper than bottle feeding (provided you spend money on ensuring you are eating healthy, which also benefits YOU and BABY! Two for one babeee!)

It also includes all the necessary health factors for baby and for mom. (Reducing risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and a truckload of other benefits!)

Also, if you are concerned with getting rid of the extra baby tub you’ve gathered over the last 9 months (or the tub you’ve had most of your life!) then breastfeeding is better than spending 5 hours at a gym EVERYDAY. It burns about an extra 500 cals… minimum-to-no exercise required!

If you are pregnant, or plan to be someday, I suggest you educate yourself on the topic, instead of shying away thinking it's not for you. Read things, watch things, and try to find mothers who are breastfeeding who don’t mind being starred at or being asked a hundred-million questions.

It is your (and your child’s) natural birthright! Your breasts have an evolutionary purpose! Fulfill it! (pun intended…they get REAL FULL!)

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome and true. People are fucked if they think that breast feeding is rotten! It does indeed aid in losing baby weight and it builds up baby's immunity and keeps them from having all sorts of insane allergies that all the kids seem to suffer from nowadays. Can't improve on nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is slightly annoyed by the fact that theres now an ad for formula on my page.. DID YOU NOT READ THIS BLOG ADSENSE!?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Tammy you might want to get your facts streight before you go and start writing shit. For one you dont know me nor are we friends so when I said that breast feeding was rotten I didn't actually mean it was "rotten" Anyone who knows me will know that I use that word alot and it was in reference to the fact that Breast feeding is just not somehting thats for me, I dont like I idea of putting my boob in my babies mouth, yeah its a natural thing but not for me. I have no issues with people who breast feed, its great for the little ones, nor do I mind seeing ladies feeding in public. If I had produced any milk then I would have pumped instead of using formula. so yeah for ME Breast feeding is "rotten" but not ingeneral. You might want to find out more about the someone before you feel the need to write about them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to use you as an example of the way women feel about personal breastfeeding. Your use of the word "rotten" on that post seemed like you were using the word "rotten" not "Breast feeding is just not somehting thats for me, I dont like I idea of putting my boob in my babies mouth, yeah its a natural thing but not for me. I have no issues with people who breast feed, its great for the little ones, nor do I mind seeing ladies feeding in public"... misunderstanding on my part, maybe?
    but saying "I dont like I idea of putting my boob in my babies mouth" only reveals the truth of my blog. so again, sorry, but it was a perfect example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (That should actually read more accurately: I'm sorry that it offends you that i used you as an example. I'm not really sorry that i did... but i wasn't meaning to offend you.)

    ReplyDelete